June 27, 2009

AN APPRECIATION: Leonard Cohen -- "Ain't No Cure For Love"

Leonard Cohen is the poet laureate of song. He turns 75 this coming fall and if his recent 3-hour show at the Chicago Theatre is any indication, he's showing no signs of letting up -- to which I say, Hallelujah. But, of course, Leonard has said it better and before:

Baby, I have been here before
I know this room, I've walked this floor
I used to live alone before I knew you.
I've seen your flag on the marble arch
Love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah.

Our friend and mentor, the magician Eugene Burger, turned Robert Charles and me onto Leonard's music and it's been a joy "discovering" his 40-year body of work. This photo shows Benjamin Barnes, me, Robert and Eugene outside of the Chicago Theatre before Leonard Cohen's recent concert. The photo was taken by the filmmaker Michael Caplan; he and his wife Suzanne (no, not that Suzanne) are big fans as well. The photo and my memories of this wonderful evening of friendship and love bring to mind more of Leonard's lyrics:

Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin
Dance me through the panic 'til I'm gathered safely in
Lift me like an olive branch and be my homeward dove
Dance with me to the end of love
Dance with me to the end of love

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home